Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our Insides

I'm really excited to start CrossFit. I'm horseback riding every Thursday night for the summer and plan to begin CrossFit in August when the riding session ends. By the way, I must note for my own personal record, I galloped for the first time last week. I've always cantered, sometimes a fast canter, but I've never done a full speed gallup. It was the most amazing experience! The opportunity to gallup at a decent distance doesn't present itself too often. You need a good amount of distance, a safe terrain and of course experience under your belt. We were outside, the sun was setting, it was a calm 65 degrees and the horses were warmed up. I was going over and over in my head what to do and what NOT to do, both were equally important and any deviance could have dangerous consequences. If I passed the horse in front of me, he could become too excited and think he was racing, therefore raising the anxiety of the rest of the horses. Maintaining a two-point position; the only two parts of my body in physical contact with horse were my hands and my calves, keeping my seat (my butt) raised slightly off the saddle and leaning forward, but not too far forward in case the horse threw his head up. This requires using your calf, ab and back muscles to balance yourself, while at the same time, your arms and hands are firm, but not tight, moving with the horse's head and not pulling on the mouth. When done correctly, and remembering to move with horse, and RELAX, it can be a very powerful, unifying moment.

Anyways, CrossFit...so I've done some reading on typical WOD (workout of the day) and pull-ups are common. I haven't done a pull-up since 6th grade. I don't even think my gym has a pull-up bar. Really! Not the pull-up *machine*, but a good old-fashioned stationary, steel rod. If there is one at the gym it's probably back in the free weight aka beefy-roided-hothead section...I still feel a little intimated in that department. There's so much I want to try back there!! I want to try some clean & jerks, deadlifts, thrusters...everything! But I haven't been taught correct form, and I need to learn that first...even if it's just to spare the judgment from the other more seasoned athletes.
I still feel like the free weight area is the "Boys Only" club (did they even have those when we were kids??), or the frat that requires hazing, or a rite of passage before you can really say "I lift weights". I know that's not all true, but I feel I need to go in there with some level of amateur experience. I'm going to pick-up one of the those pull-up bars from Sports Authority that you can just place over your door. They're actually on clearance!! Which is kind of a sad thought actually.
I remind myself everyday that I am FORTUNATE to be able-bodied and able-minded. Whether a congenital defect, debilitating illness or injury or poor life choices, not everyone is as capable as I am. Everyday is an opportunity to make a good choice, and that's what drives me to exercise nearly every day. I had to force myself to not workout this past weekend because I had worked out 6 days in a row in addition to working a busy weekend at the hospital and my body needed a break. I slept 13 hours Sunday night.
I am not entitled to an able body and sound mind, I see it as a gift that keeps on giving. If you treat your body well, it will pay you back mentally and emotionally. If you treat it like sh*t, it will do the same...pay you back mentally, physically and emotionally...until it eventually gives up on you. Our bodies are very forgiving. Forget the basic functions that keep us alive; they are constantly repairing injuries and defending against external free radicals.
Our bodies bear the brunt of a lot of abuse before it becomes apparent. And sometimes when the damage is done it's irreparable. I will never forget the 31 year old alcoholic that had made the decision to live a healthier life and quit drinking. The withdraw was so stressful on his body, he went into cardiac arrest and died. We had to take x-rays of his lungs so they could be measured for transplantation. That man shouldn't have died.
I get to see the insides of bodies. I see the fatty livers, calcified arteries, lung scars, degenerate spines and renal atrophy...and this is just the stuff that results when we don't take of ourselves. It's really sad, and enlightening at the same, to see that our bodies ARE giving out on us! By the time our poor choices are manifesting into physical, detectable symptoms, our body has already taken a beating.
That's what I carry with me every day. That's my motivation. I hope it's enough to take me to the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment