Thursday, July 28, 2011

Can a Girl Get Her Barbell Aready?!?!

I need to vent. The past two CrossFits WODs were brutal! They should've been illegal! And I sucked. Tuesday's WOD was a metcon (metabolic conditioning) workout. These workouts are fundamental movements involving several muscle systems at once. Here's a geat article that explains metcons in detail. To sum it up, basically these workouts are fundamental movements involving several muscle systems at once. They are "extraordinarily taxing of the body's ability to supply energy". They are TOUGH. It's all about adaptation, going to beyond the "margins of our experience"-that's when we suffer. These workouts are supposed to be competitive, uncomfortable and make you want to puke. Tuesday's workout took me about 44 minutes to complete. There were a few times I was ready to quit. I pulled through, but my time sucked. Next time however, this same WOD will be within the realm of my experience and, hopefully, I'll do better. I will have to say that I was feeling under the weather before I went in, so that didn't help.
Today's workout was just as rough, but I have to say I "enjoyed" it (for lack of a better term..."tolerated" maybe???) more. It involved more exercises. I'm finding that I need the variety to keep going. Tuesday's WOD involved only 2 movements, pull ups and burpees. Today's WOD involved 3 movements, wall balls, box jumps and kettlebell swings. The variety helped. I hate to say that the WODs can be boring, that's not even remotely the case, but the more the variety the more distracted I am from the clock. If that makes sense. When I finish the wall balls, I know I have a longer break from them before the next round.
With that said, this week as been brutal. So far the most difficult, and I still have Friday and Saturday to go. I definitely appreciate the under 20 minute WOD. My strengths are power and strength, my weaknesses are stamina and endurance. My work is cut out for me. I miss my barbells though.

Speaking of barbells, can someone Puh-LEAASE hand one to this girl...



This is our society's idea of healthy? fit? in shape? strong??? This is disgusting! Ok, maybe not disgusting...but definitely pathetic. Has this girl ever seen a barbell much less picked one up???
I'm the first to admit I'm not the epitome of perfect health...but if the editors at Shape mag and others alike are going to set a standard, jesus christ raise the bar! All this says to me is 'Skinny IS healthy. Skinny is beautiful. Skinny is strong.' This magazine is almost worse than the InStyle, Vogue and Cosmo mags; at least these mags don't pretend to show what healthy is. I put magazines like Shape and Self almost right down there with the runway anorexics. It's disgusting. It's not the social standard, and it's most certainly not what women (or anybody really) should be aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment